Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Two-Faced Day


The Two-Faced Day

After I finished blogging last night, I retired to my room and made my bed. After I finished, I tried to sleep, but I still had Mountain Dew running through my veins. So since I wasn’t able to sleep, I rearranged my room. My goal was to make my room seem like it had a bit more space. I wound up moving my microwave and fridge next to my closet and my set of drawers closer to the window. This worked out quite well because now everything is right next to my bed and if I can’t sleep, all I need to do is reach over next to me. I also solved the problem not having my iHome. I simply plugged my iPod into the wall and let the music play through its speaker. It isn’t loud enough to disturb anyone and I can have it right next to my pillow. I’ve “remodeled” my room since then, but that is a story for later.

I woke up at about 7:45 this morning and completely unpacked my suitcase. Afterwards, I showered, got dressed and went downstairs with my laptop. I sat in the lobby and read a few of yesterday’s blogs for about half an hour. After that I put my laptop back in my room and took my iPod out to the area in front of Appels Hall (where we eat our meals). I sat for about an hour and a half observing the beauty and listening to my music. I would have taken pictures, but I didn’t want to walk away from my beautiful view. Don’t worry; I will be taking plenty of pictures over the next three weeks. I have also uploaded pictures I took today of the Art’s Quad and a few other places. This was the first “face” of today. This “face” was one of great peace and tranquility. The scene was beautiful and extremely tranquil. I wouldn’t trade that experience for anything in the world.

At about 10:00 I went back to the lobby to meet the rest of the group to go eat brunch. We (Chris, the Andrews, Dyana, Beilul and I) enjoyed brunch with Ben and Jordan (Andrew Gonzales’ roommate). It was entertaining because Andrew (Woo) began a “spirited” debate by making one of the biggest mistakes you can make when meeting new people: he asked about political affiliation. This single question launched Andrew Woo, Ben and Jordan into a long debate spanning healthcare, Sarah Palin and whole lot of other issues. It was quite funny because Andrew and Jordan were completely calm throughout the entire debate, but Ben was completely into it. I enjoyed brunch, but I think Andrew was a little peeved about how Ben handled himself (in terms of courtesy).

After brunch, we proceeded to the Statler Hotel to attend the “Crash Course.” I wish I had taken advantage of this event being optional because it was a TOTAL waste of time. The entire point was to give us tips to succeed, but instead they basically just told us get enough sleep, find your learning style (which was the only significant/interesting aspect of the lecture) and not to commit suicide. That event was what I’m referring to as the second “face” of the day. This day would have been great had I not attended this “lecture.” It was three straight hours of sheer boredom that I could have spent taking photos of the campus. This put a damper on the middle of my day, but it picked up again.

Once we left the lecture hall in the Statler Hotel, the Andrews, Jordan and I went back to the dorms to hang out in Andrew and Jordan’s room. Out of all the people I’ve met so far, I’ve gotten to know Jordan the most and he is a pretty cool guy. He’s from Austin, Texas but he lacks any kind of southern accent. Andrew Woo and I have had a great time getting to know him today. Andrew has been able to bond with him over marching band and I have been able to discuss gaming with him. On that note, there are a lot more gamers here than I originally thought there would be. Anyway, we spent about an hour in their room and made our way to dinner and met Beilul there.

On the topic of food, I have to agree with Mr. Ramsey. The food here is pretty good. It is MUCH better than I expected it to be. Tonight one of the main courses was a turkey dinner. I think the chefs always introduce a little variety, but there has been pizza twice so far. It may just be a standard dinner option. Dinner was good though. I’m enjoying spending so much time with people outside of class (such as in Appels) and I can’t wait to see them in class.

After dinner, Jordan went to go play tennis. Andrew (Woo) and I took advantage of this and went to go make sure we knew how to get to our class for tomorrow morning. After getting hopelessly lost (twice) and going around in circles we finally found Malett Hall. It turned out that we could have found it much more easily had we just turned on one of the blocks we passed earlier. This could be a con to attending a college of this size. It is HUGE and that has its advantages and disadvantages. Getting lost is a BIG disadvantage. The University of Rochester seems very appealing after our ordeal tonight. By the time we got back to the dorms, it had begun to rain…AFTER we had climbed hills and sweated through our shirts. I was relieved it was raining, but I wish it could have happened earlier.

After we got back, we had to attend another “Code of Conduct” meeting on our floor. There was half an hour before we had to attend so I decided to rearrange my room. Since my roommate still has not shown up, I decided to push the beds together to make a queen/king size bed. A lot of my friends are envious that I don’t have a roommate yet. Anyway, the “Code of Conduct” meeting was just to show what could happen if you were caught breaking a rule and it took a lot less time than last night. It was actually funny. The RCA’s displayed “hallway sports” and in the process accidently hit a student in the head with a foam pool noodle. My sides hurt after laughing at that. I’m fairly certain I heard one say: “This is a perfect example of why you shouldn’t play hallway sports.” It was hilarious.

After the meeting, we proceeded downstairs to blog in a group. Chris and Jacky finished early so they studied. Antony (a student from Hong Kong) joined our company. He is pretty interesting as well. Everyone seemed to finish so quickly though! I need to work on finishing my blogs faster.

That is all I have to say about the “Two-Faced Day.” I will leave you with these pictures that I have taken of the campus so far. Until tomorrow, I’m signing off.


No comments:

Post a Comment