Friday, July 9, 2010

Another Rubik's Cube Solved

I couldn’t wait for the work portion of today to be over. I suppose “Friday Syndrome” applies to any educational situation, even if the material is interesting. I couldn’t wait to get out of class today because the end of class meant the weekend was finally here. I still have to work, but at least I have two-and-a -half-days to do it. I’m really looking forward to Sunday. I get to do two relaxing things on Sunday: go canoeing on one of the Finger Lakes and (best of all) SLEEP IN. That is going to be a miraculous morning.

Today’s lecture demystified the Rubik’s Cube that is John Stuart Mill’s On Liberty. Prof. K spent most of the time lecturing on John Stuart Mill, not On Liberty, but learning about his background, influences and personal beliefs really helped me understand what he was really writing about. Today’s TA session helped a lot also. Simon gave us a few questions again and we were told to answer them in groups. Re-reading my highlighted quotes from last night and analyzing them in the context of the questions helped me understand them extremely well. I had to explain my quotes to my group members and hearing myself explain why they were significant made everything begin to click in my head. I guess it takes a teaching approach for me to finally understand something. I noticed the same kind of situation occurring in my math class this year; I would explain what I was doing (or what I thought was the correct way to do something) and I would either realize that I did something wrong or I would understand what I was trying to do instead of just going through a list of steps. I learned something completely unrelated to what I was trying to learn today. Interesting.,,

After the TA session, the F&J-ers went to the Museum of the Earth (a paleontological museum). We spent about an hour and a half there learning about some of the long-dead species of the planet Earth. It was pretty cool to see all of the fossils. I took a few pictures so you can see a bit of what we experienced. It was a fun experience.

Now that we have returned I can unwind now that I have completed my blog. Enjoy the pictures and (I have to say this at least once for my blog) rate, comment and subscribe. Anyway, I’m signing off.


Photo By Bruton Gaster
Rough-Ridin' Dyana


Freedom and Justice...UNITE!


Dyana Is Anxious to Begin the Tour


Andrew Does Not Like to Be Disturbed



On the Left You Will See Ray Romano...



I Don't Get It...

No comments:

Post a Comment