Thursday, July 15, 2010

One Final Day

As the days count down, I scramble more and more frantically to spend time with people. For example, today I sat on the Arts Quad for about an hour with Jeff, Phoebe and Emily. I wish I had started meeting new people earlier than half-way through next week because all of these people are great to be around and really fun. Meeting new people from different places is probably the best experience I have had over these three and a half weeks. Today I took advantage of everyone being in Prof. K’s optional Q & A by asking about fifteen people I’ve been talking to for their email addresses. Now I can actually keep in contact with the people I have met.

Our last lecture was simple. We covered racism in western civilization… for an hour and ten minutes. By the time Prof. K got to the second point in his lecture, we only had twenty minutes left in class to discuss five other points. The lecture was still plenty informative though. Our last TA session was fairly easy as well. We worked together in groups of four and analyzed the main points of MLK Jr. and Malcolm X. I’m glad the TA’s and Kramnick felt pity for us on the day before the final. I am sad that our last discussions were not as “heated” as they usually are though. I would prefer an easy day over our normal days though.

After the day’s work had concluded, Prof. K held an optional Q & A session where we could ask him any questions that we wanted to. I didn’t have any questions, but I thought that the information could be good for tomorrow. I took plenty of notes and plan on using them tonight. After the session I ventured to the Uris Library with Dyana and Jordan. The Uris Library is the best library I have ever been in. You could hear a pin hit the carpet in that room. It is a fairly small library, but it has three levels to it. One of the best qualities of it was the spiral staircase in the corner of the room. I truly felt like I was in Hogwarts, just as everyone said I would. I was blown away by Uris. There were even books in foreign languages! I don’t know why this surprises me, considering I’m on a college campus, but I guess I’m just not used to seeing it. I will never look at a library the same way again.

After my visit to Mini-Hogwarts, I walked around the Arts Quad taking pictures. This brief twenty minutes made me wish I had done this more. I got another glimpse at just how beautiful the Cornell campus and surrounding Ithaca area is. I definitely squandered my time by not more taking pictures when I had the chance. You can see a few of the pictures I took below. The beauty of Ithaca cannot be contained in pictures; it must be experienced in person because otherwise it just isn’t the same. I would come to Cornell just to have the opportunity to wake up every morning and see the gorgeous (no pun intended) Ithacan country.

Anyway, I have to study for the biggest day of my three weeks at Cornell. I’ve got to hit the books and study hard for my final because it will not be a cakewalk. I’m actually a little nervous, but I think I will be able to handle it. Wish me luck, because I’m signing off.



















No comments:

Post a Comment