Tuesday, July 6, 2010

More than half a day out

Today we finally got to put our CHESS memos to the test. I was very excited to officially start our hotel simulation, and add expenses that we created ourselves. We went to the lab and put in all the expenses in our hotel. From there, we just managed the rooms, for Reneta told us to just see how our hotels were managing with the figures that we created. It was actually fun just sitting there in the lab and managing hotel rooms each day. We actually spanned 6 weeks within an hour and a half. I looked around and it seemed that my hotel was doing relatively well. I had a reasonably high occupancy rate and departmental income. I met my weekly goal about 3 of the 6 weeks, with the other 3 coming in pretty close to the projected $70,000. I am excited to write about the hotel, what went well and what went wrong, and what should be improved. This will all be explained in our individual financial reports, due Friday.

I will say that I left my dorm at 8:15 AM and returned at 9:15 PM. Enough said. After class, at 4:00 PM, I decided to go back to the dorm, but then changed my mind halfway through, and walked back in the blazing heat to the hotel. I decided that I really had too much to do today to just come to office hours for 2 hours, so I actually stayed in the lab from around 4:30 to 9:00 PM, though office hours were from 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM. I realized that I would have never finished my work had I not stayed longer. I still barely finished my assignment before 9:00 PM.

Anyway, with Mark, we dedicated our time to Report Templates, which we will need to use for our financial reports. I’ve grown accustomed to the habit of learning from Reneta about our work and assignment, and from Mark about the way we will format our work either in Word, PowerPoint, or Excel. It seemed that in the blink of an eye, I missed 5 steps that he went over. I found myself lost several times while he was going over Report Templates today. I’ll definitely have to ask for help tomorrow. So, after 13 hours out, I am back in my dorm and ready to sleep. However, I have some readings I have to get done by tonight, so I’ll get cracking.

No comments:

Post a Comment