Saturday, July 3, 2010

I'm on a boat

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I got 8 hours of sleep last night. That is the most I’ve had the entire week, so you know that it’s Saturday here in Cornell. I woke up at 10:00 PM today and while brushing my teeth in the bathroom, Andrew Gonzales came in telling me that the group was waiting for me already downstairs, for our boat ride on Lake Cayuga. I immediately went downstairs and the seven of us walked all the way to the Statler Hotel, where Ms. Kaplan was waiting for us in her car.

After we finally found the docking area, we stepped onto the big boat and went upstairs. I don’t even remember the last time I was on a boat, and while it wasn’t luxurious or anything, it was still a fun experience. What was more fun was having breakfast on the boat. While we waited for our food to arrive, we situated ourselves at a table, where we had a wonderful view of Lake Cayuga. It was fun to be together again, all the ILC kids and our wonderful chaperone, Ms. Kaplan. It was also fun to be away from the dorms for a while, but the thoughts of the project were still lingering in my head.

Ms. Kaplan drove us back to Mary Donlon Hall, where only Andrew Woo and I decided to stay, while everyone else got their bathing suits in preparation to swim in Robert H. Treman State Park. I walked to the Bin Hall in the Statler Hall, where my group was already waiting for me. They were working on the PowerPoint and I immediately jumped into it. We continued working on our slides and making sure our format was correct. We stayed until the last minute, before the Lab closed, at 4:00 PM. Then, we continued to the girls’ floor to work on it in the lounge until 6:00 PM. We still didn’t finish and I insisted that we continue working on it. I actually didn’t want to even take it because I was afraid I would format it incorrectly. The group wanted to continue tomorrow and I felt really uncomfortable because I wanted to dedicate all of tomorrow to rehearse. We still need to animate the slides and get all the information down pat. I didn’t even care that everyone who I asked from other groups said they weren’t done either. I wanted the presentation to be flawless.

Nonetheless, they reassured we would have time to do everything. I ended up going to dinner with the F&J kids, Jacky, Beilul, and two of my group members. We then wanted to go bowling again, but the place was closed, so we headed back to Mary Donlon Hall, where I will continue researching and practicing, until we meet up tomorrow. It just sunk in that tomorrow is Fourth of July. I am recalling all the Fourth of July celebrations back home with cupcakes and fireworks. While it is saddening that I will spend that time working for a presentation, I couldn’t be happier to be here.


  1. And we are so glad that you were there to document in video. I had no idea you were doing this.
    Ms. K

  2. Is that a Kia Sedona! We had that same rental van for the first five days!